Agri-food and Nutrition
The second largest horticultural region in Europe is the so-called Greenport Venlo region (approximately 18,000 hectares or 44,500 acres). This was home to the Floriade 2012 World Horticulture Expo. The Netherlands is also the world’s second-largest exporter of agri-food products. The Dutch horticulture sector is the most innovative and sustainable in the world.
There are currently more than 2,500 companies in the Agri-food sector in Limburg, creating 17,000 jobs. These companies are active in cultivation, seed technology, fresh produce & food, trade, logistics, packaging, machine building, automation, and innovation. In Limburg, the sector has 1 billion in turnover for food processing, suppliers, and logistics and 600 million in turnover in fruit, vegetables, flowers, and plants.
Brightlands Campus Greenport Venlo
Healthy food and nutrition, future farming and biobased economy are cornerstones of Brightlands Campus Greenport Venlo. Here, entrepreneurs, research partners, and education partners, are eager to address global challenges by creating newe methods of food production, encouraging healthy food consumption, and developing enhanced food nutrition. Surrounding Limburg is a landscape of top universities: Maastricht University, Wageningen University, HAS University of Applied Sciences for Agrifbusiness in Venlo, Fontys Venlo University of Applied Sciences and RWTH Aachen Institute for Botany and Molecular Genetics.
The Limburg Agri-food sector is home to many SME’s and multinationals. For example, you can tap into world-class research at BASF Global and discover food innovation at institutes like Scelta Mushrooms and Royal Zon.
- central hub, located within short distance of Germany and Belgium
- strong primary sector
- high availability of knowledge, network and capital organizations
- strong focus on new initiatives and innovations
- stimulation of attention by Brightlands Campus Greenport Venlo
- cross-overs with other strong sectors in Limburg
- access to state-of-the-art facilities
- Maastricht University
- Fontys Venlo: international Fresh (Food & Flower) Management
- HAS Venlo: Applied Sciences – international Food & Agribusiness, Food Management
- WUR Wageningen: GreenBrains Knowledge and Innovation programme
- RWTH Aachen: Institute of Biology
- Citaverde College: AgriFood
- Brightlands Campuses
- Venlo Trade Port Venlo: an attractive, strategic AAA site with excellent location criteria
- Fresh Park Venlo: real estate development and rental facilities for food warehousing and processing